Back in January, DPAC took me to NYC and gave me a preview of all the awesome Broadway shows that will be coming to Durham as part of the 2015/2016 SunTrust Broadway series. They're going to be unveiling those shows tonight to their season ticket holders, and then to the WORLD tomorrow night on ABC11 as part of a special hosted by Angela Hampton. I can't tell you what those shows are yet, but I can give you some hints. Of course, I'm terrible at hints, so you'll either get them right away or not at all!
Below is a pic I took when we were doing interviews in Times Square. We did them from the Minskoff Theatre, which is the home to the Lion King. Check out ABC11's set up, and then my colleague Brian Freeman from WPTF's setup and mine--which are decidedly less technical:
Now, this pic probably makes you ask, "Since you were at the Lion King's theater, does that mean that The Lion King is part of the SunTrust Broadway 2015/2016 series this year at DPAC? The answer is:
No. The Lion King is not part of the SunTrust Broadway Series at DPAC. :)
To add insult to injury, here's a pic of me messing around behind costumes from The Lion King, which, again, is not part of the SunTrust Broadway series at DPAC in 2015/2016:
- One musical on the docket has had Adele Dazeem involved in the New York production. She won't be with it when it hits Durham, though.
- One musical, you'll know all the words to because a super famous husband-wife team (or two) wrote all the hits for it.
- One musical has played at Studio 54 in NYC. Sort of apropos for what it is.
- One musical is a classic--and some of the songs were part of a show-stopping moment recently on a huge, world-wide television broadcast. In fact, those songs were said to be the best part of the whole thing. Oscar Hammerstein would be proud.
- There are a bunch more musicals you will love, some you can take your kids to and some will make you crack up laughing
- There are two musicals being announced that are not part of the SunTrust Broadway series, but instead the Encore Broadway series. :)
I hope those hints helped! Watch the big announcement tomorrow night on ABC11--and on Monday, I'll break all the shows down for ya complete with interviews with super fun and successful people...all of whom make these shows great.