Monday, December 3, 2012

Foster Learns To Fly

On Monday, November 26th at 1pm, I learned how to fly.



The experience was nothing like I expected - what I planned for was the instructor showing me a few things, taking off, letting me take the wheel when we reached cruising altitude for a bit, and then I would be able to say "I flew a plane"....but that's not what happened.

First, my instructor Mike, who just happens to fly 757s and 767s for Delta, showed me the instrument panel and explained how to read altitude, speed, and the like.  He showed me how to start the propeller and feed gas to the engine.  He explained how, on the ground, you actually steer the plane with your feet - not the wheel.  Before I knew it, I was taxiing the plane to the runway (and keeping the plane pretty darn close to the yellow line, I might add).

On the runway, Captain Mike showed me how to get the speed to 55 knots - how could I not imagine Marty McFly getting the Delorean to 88 miles per hour - and then I was pulling back (yes, I was pulling back) on the wheel and taking off!

During the flight, which took us over downtown Raleigh, Jordan Lake, Carter-Finley Stadium and Apex, I climbed, turned, and descended, all while Air Traffic Control was giving instructions in my headset.  In fact, I flew the plane the entire time until Mike landed (which was fine with me!!) and I once again taxied to the terminal.

At the end Mike filled out my new pilot log with 1.1 hours of training - just 39 more to my pilot license!




This was one of the Top 5 experiences of my life - and I strongly recommend Blue Line Aviation.  For only $149 you can purchase their discovery package to get a similar experience to mine, and it makes an incredible holiday gift.  Find them at www.learntoflyraleigh.com and watch the video to see more of my flight!



Foster
Radio 96.1

No comments: