Saturday, July 21, 2012

Thoughts On Colorado

My heart is very heavy in these last 24 hours and I've thought a lot about my childhood.


In my childhood, I was a latch key kid.

I rode the public bus by myself when I was 7.

I went with my friends to the video arcade to play Pac Man and Donkey Kong and just had to be home when the street lights went on.

All our neighbors looked out for each out for each other - it was truly communal parenting.

Now, with children of my own, events like the one in the Colorado movie theater give me a highly advanced degree of heart sickness.

These times we live in have become so divisive and antagonistic - when Americans, now more than ever, need each other.  We need to support each other in times of great joy...and great sadness.

Jessica Ghawi was a member of our radio family, and you've probably heard her story.  She's the one who narrowly escaped a mall shooting in Toronto, only to be gunned down this week in Colorado.  She was an intern at 104.3FM, a Denver sports station and after the Toronto shooting, she wrote a blog which I'm linking to below and I strongly encourage you to read.  In it, she writes:

I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. So often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member. Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings. Every second of every day is a gift. After Saturday evening, I know I truly understand how blessed I am for each second I am given.


Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go hug my children.  To Jessica, and all the victims of this senseless day, I'm so sorry.  This shouldn't have happened in the United States of America.



This is a link to Jessica's blog:

http://jessicaredfield.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/late-night-thoughts-on-the-eaton-center-shooting/

Foster
Radio 96.1

No comments: