Tuesday, April 9, 2013

North Carolina: Still Amazing






I grew up in the third-smallest state in the country.  It was the third smallest, but the most densely populated per square mile.  There were people everywhere, and you could cross the state in an hour or less, or go from the very bottom to the very top in about 3.  When I was a kid, I thought everyone's state was like that, and it blew my mind as I got older to realize how tiny New Jersey really is.  Sometimes, I'm still struck by that.

I moved to North Carolina five years ago this June.  And still, I'm struck by how large and how different our state is.  You have the beach and the Blue Ridge Mountains, all in one state.

This past weekend, my fiance and I drove out to Asheville and stayed at the Grove Park Inn.  He had to work, but I got to relax and take advantage of the scenery and the exceptional service.  In the pic above, taken on Friday just before the sun started to go down, I was again struck by how different parts of our state are.  It sounds silly to say, but I couldn't believe I was nearly 7 hours from the beach.  And it was so beautiful.  Rolling mountains and beautiful vistas.  I can't believe it's the same state--but it is.

Maybe I was just in a dreamland; after all, the Grove Park Inn looks like something a group of Hobbits would stay in:

Welcome to the Shire.



But it was truly amazing.  It's 100 years old this year, and they're doing construction on it to spruce it up.  I felt super fancy there, sitting on a terrace and drinking my Highland Brewing Company Gaelic Ale.  I even practiced my old rich lady voice--because that's how I would imagine you would talk if you had the sort of elegance and excess the Grove Park offers.  ("dahhhhhling, would you have Jeeves come to the dining room?   I'm going to take tea on the terrace.")    I honestly had no interest in leaving the property--if you had that view, would you?

I'm so glad I live in a place that's varied in landscape as it is in people.  It constantly blows my mind, and I'm glad it does.  I wouldn't want it any other way. 


Alli


Like Alli Morgan on Facebook or follow her on Twitter

No comments: