Monday, July 29, 2013

Guest Blog: Guasaca Review



Our colleague, Abby Jordan, guest blogged for us this week on her experience at Guasaca, a new Venezuelan restaurant off Lake Boone Trail.






My sister-in-law, Jessica, introduced me to my favorite new Triangle restaurant earlier this summer – Guasaca Arepa & Salsa Grill on Lake Boone Trail.  OH. MY. YUM.  I’d never had Venezuelan food before, so when she suggested it for lunch one day, I was stoked to try something new… and, boy, am I so glad she looped me in on this tasty place!

Based on Venezuelan cuisine with a few American twists, “Guasaca was born out of the belief that it is possible to offer food that is delicious, affordable, fresh, and healthy, all at the same time.”  They make everything in-house every day – no flat, stale bread or mystery meat to be found – just amazing fresh arepas: “Venezuela’s daily bread which can be filled with almost any combination of food.”  And when they say “any” combination, they mean it – there are hundreds of combinations to made between 6 meats, 6 sauces, and 7 sides.  (If bread isn’t your thing, you can also order a bowl or salad.)  I highly recommend ordering one of their 7 signature arepas, though, because they know what they’re doing and the flavor combinations will make your taste buds very happy.  And, for me, no order is complete without chips and extra Guasaca sauce – think guacamole with an extra zing!

These are Arepas.  They are yummy.




I love how easy it is to get to Guasaca, I love the patio seating, and I love the fact that it’s right next door to Bottle Revolution.  Ready for the perfect summer night with your friends and family?  An ice cold Izze for the kids (one of the non-alcoholic beverage options at Guasaca), your favorite beer from Bottle Revolution for you, an arepa for every hand, chips + guasaca sauce, gathered on the roomy patio as the sun’s going down and the heat becomes bearable.  Seriously.  Try it – you’ll thank me later.

It has now become something of a family addiction – at least once a week, one of my sisters or I will pipe up with “Mmmm… I’m craving Guasaca!” and next thing you know, we’re making a lunch date for the best Venezuelan food you’ll have in the Triangle!



Abby





No comments: