Thursday, August 8, 2013

Matchbox Twenty and Goo Goo Dolls Review




I can't take credit for this pic: I was too busy singing along.  Thanks to Dave Rose at Deep South for the shot.


I love seeing lots of people at an amphitheater for a concert.  There's something about the energy that's in a large crowd that just energizes me.  That's why I was so glad to see as many people as in the pic above at the Matchbox Twenty/Goo Goo Dolls show last night at Walnut Creek Amphitheater. 


Goo Goo Dolls, courtesy Lee Odom

I've seen the Goo Goo Dolls several times throughout my career and I'll be honest with you:  I was wary going in.  I'm usually pretty bored by them.  At this show, I wasn't bored, HOWEVER it's not like this was a ground breaking rock and roll show, either.  Lead singer Johnny Rzeznik sounded pretty good to me; a colleague of mine said he felt that John's voice was off and not so great, but I disagree.  Rzeznik's always had that scratchy thing going on, and I thought they were spot on.  The Goos played about an hour and a half set, and spanned their hits like they were supposed to, played their latest single like they were supposed to, talked to the crowd every now and again, just like they were supposed to.  They are a tight band, good at what they do.  I'm just never overly impressed by them.


Rob Thomas of Matchbox Twenty, courtesy Lee Odom
  As for Matchbox, I haven't ever seen them and I have an affinity for them.  I loved their first album, "Yourself or Someone Like You;"  and I played a lot of their songs when I worked at an Alternative station back in the late 90s.  Matchbox Twenty's stage set up was pretty awesome, as you can tell by the pic above, plus the stairs lit in different colors as well.  They played all the hits, Rob Thomas acknowledged his band member from Raleigh, and talked about being Carolina people.  The band itself sounded pretty good, everyone seemed to be having fun and it was a pretty good singalong night.  Which, I'll be honest with you:  I love a good singalong night.  It's why I love those 90s tours that have been happening the past few summers--you always know a song.  And, while Matchbox played a few unfamiliar songs to me, I knew most of their stuff from "3 am" and "Long Day" to "Let's See How Far We've Come."

While neither band really puts on a show that is going to light the world on fire, it was still a great performance from both.  In a day and age where it's tough to pull a large crowd for what is largely a rock show, it was great to see so many people out last night, feel their energy, sing along, and have fun on a Wednesday night. Plus, it was almost like old home week because I saw so many of YOU there, too!  I'd do it again in a heartbeat. When's the next show?  I'm in.


Alli

Like Alli Morgan on Facebook or follow her on Twitter.


No comments: