Wednesday, March 7, 2012

How important is the ACC Tournament?

When I lived in Detroit, Tigers Opening Day was the holiday.  The office literally shut down and we all went downtown - not necessarily to go inside Comerica Park, but just to hang out in the bars around the stadium so we could be part of the vibe of the start of baseball season.

When I moved to Raleigh in 2003, I was told "ACC Friday" was the holiday.


The word was that people left the office that day, went to bars around the Triangle, watched the ACC Tournament, and took the rest of the day off.  

These days though, on the eve of the start of this year's tourney, I can't help but feel that it's just doesn't have the same meaning as it used to.  (I know, don't tell that to NC State - they could use the automatic bid).

Is it just me, or is the ACC Tournament still our "holiday"?

Foster
Radio 96.1

1 comment:

bones166 said...

The ACC tournament doesn't seem as good as it used to. I was in Middle school and High school in the early to mid 1990's and ACC friday was the best day of the school year. Pretty much every teacher would bring in a tv just so we could watch the games (especially UNC and Duke). My personal feeling is that the conference now has too many teams. 9 or 10 was a good number and the first round games on played on Friday were a treat at least to us school kids anyway.