Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Who You Callin' Ugly?

This picture appeared today attached to an article in the News and Observer. 







It's credited to a man named Richard Usanis, so I'll give credit where credit is due.

The funky building pictured above is of the American Institute of Architects Center for Architecture and Design.  It's on Peace Street in Downtown Raleigh, and it was voted the ugliest building in town. 

I get where the voters are coming from.  But do I think it's ugly?  Nah. Do I think it totally doesn't fit in with the stately buildings of William Peace University across the street, or the genteel bungalows and Victorian homes of Oakwood that is only feet away?  Yes.

But I get where the AIA was coming from when they designed this modern beast.  It is a sharp, angular, fancy-pants building that shows they think forward.

The only problem?  It's in a neighborhood where everything is backward. And I mean that in the nicest possible way:  Oakwood and the surrounding area is my favorite place in town.

Alli


Like Alli Morgan on Facebook or follow her on Twitter.






1 comment:

Tricia316 said...

We just drove by the other day for the first time. It is neat and it is totally eco-friendly. I will take that over a non-descript concrete building any day!