Monday, April 16, 2012

Reason 6,742 Why I Love Living In Raleigh

Last night, I went to Raleigh Amphitheater and saw Cake play.  They were great, and it was the perfect laid-back rock and roll night to end what was a very busy weekend for me.  But this blog isn't about Cake and their show.  This blog is about the venue. 

When I think about all the different places in my life I have seen bands, whether large or small or somewhere in-between sized venues, I have to say that the Raleigh Amphitheater is one of my favorites.  It seats around 6,000, which is a pretty decent size.  But the fact that it's right downtown, in a city that I've adopted as my city--makes it all the better.  The acoustics are pretty great at the Amphitheater, but what really makes it the most interesting, fun venue is this:




That's the Raleigh Convention Center Shimmer Wall, and it's the backdrop for the Raleigh Downtown Amphitheater.  It's gorgeous, and, in my opinion, one of the best things that this city has done to make us look like a real, hip, modern little Southern city.  What makes it shimmer are these individual pieces that reflect and move with the wind; colored lights are shone on it at night for effect.  It's what artists see from the stage at the Amphitheater, what I can't stop turning around to check out during shows there.  

I didn't live here before Raleigh went through its transformation, and was lucky enough to move into town just as the Convention Center was finishing. So, I never remember a time that the Shimmer Wall wasn't around.  I never get tired of looking at it, and I'm thankful that someone had the foresight to put the Amphitheater there so many more visitors who come to town and want to be entertained by great live bands--people who aren't familiar with the City of Oaks--can see what a cool little place we are, as evidenced by the back side of the Convention Center.  Welcome to concert season, people.  I'll see ya Downtown and around the city this summer.


Alli


Like Alli Morgan on Facebook, or follow her on Twitter















No comments: