Monday, June 11, 2012

It's a lung time coming

I am grateful to my new friends at the Lung Transplant Foundation for allowing me to host and play in their 2nd Annual Fred Krenrich Golf Tournament at Duke University Golf Club yesterday.

At the dinner that followed a beautiful day of swinging the sticks, I shared a story of losing one of my closest friends to leukemia when we were both 16 years old.   That's him below.



Back in 1988, the five year survival rate of childhood leukemia was 58% - today it is over 80%.  Lung transplants are relatively new and the procedure is being pioneered at Duke - while it has been incredibly successful in the short-term, the five year survival rate is very low.  Awareness of the incredible work they are doing at the Lung Transplant Foundation will bring funding, which will bring research which will create the same success stories we've seen with leukemia treatments.

Please take a moment to read up on this terrific foundation and I hope to see you on May 5, 2013 - the date of the 3rd annual Golf Tournament.

Maybe since it's on Cinco De Mayo, they'll be serving tequila.  I'm not sure if that would bring more or less money....

http://lungtransplantfoundation.org/main/

Foster
Radio 96.1

No comments: