Monday, August 27, 2012

A Wild, Whirlwind Weekend in NYC with DPAC

This weekend, I had the pleasure of being invited to New York City with other Triangle-area radio people to see Broadway shows and be treated like a queen by the folks at the Durham Performing Arts Center.

This was my second time heading to NYC with the crew, and it's always great because they put us up in an incredible hotel, show us previews of a few of the shows coming to DPAC this year when their Broadway Series starts.  We flew up on Saturday morning and were home at 11 last night.  Whirlwind is really the only way I can describe it. 

We stayed at the Westin just off of Times Square.  Last year, I ended up with a view of the air conditioner.  Not so, this year:


I think this is 42nd Street.  I say 'I think', because I'm too lazy to pay attention most of the time.







Pretty sweet view, right?  Never mind that it was basically a five-star hotel and there was an iMac with free internet in my room.  I sort of felt gypped because another guy in our group got a full-on massage chair.  A massage chair!   But, I digress.

My best friend had taken the train in from New Jersey and got to witness the action.  So, this whole thing was a win-win for me:  a weekend of being treated royally while hanging out with my best friend.  Also, no view of the air conditioner.  Already, this trip was better than last year's--and last year's was AWESOME.

My BFF comes to dinner.  I'm glad she is used to rowdy people, or we might have scared her off.


We had a great group dinner at a fancy pants restaurant.  I think everyone in our group, each of whom is on the air somewhere in this market, was shocked that DPAC would take us somewhere so nice.  Don't they know that radio people love to drink and can get rowdy?  At any rate, the food was great and it was just a pre-cursor to a really fun night. 



One of the big shows coming to DPAC this October, is Jersey Boys.  The show was fantastic, and it was cool to see the guy who originated the role of Frankie Valli on Broadway in that role again.  I spent the evening amazed at how high his falsetto is.  How do they do that?   It was just a fun show with great music that you know you know all the words to.  I think I had about every 45 of The Four Seasons when I was growing up (I never got new records, really, I just had my dad's badass record collection from the 60s and I wore it out.)    It did not escape my amusement, though, that the "curtain" for Jersey Boys was made of chain link fence.  If I had a dollar for EVERY yard in Jersey that had a chain link fence when I was growing up,  I would have been able to afford to stay in that state.  Instead, I moved to NC.

That's chain link, people.
After the show, I was super tired (day drinking will do that to you.)  So my friend and I hopped a rickshaw to take us the 11 blocks back to our hotel.  The guy was crazy, he was weaving in and out of traffic.  But that wasn't the best part about the ride. 

   
These girls are about to join a midget biker gang.

 At the next light after jumping into the rickshaw, we were suddenly surrounded by midget bikes and midget bikers.  Well, the bikers weren't midgets.  But these crotch-rocket style bikes were the smallest things I've ever seen.  We were stuck AND surrounded by a midget biker gang.  Oddly, this may have been the highlight of my trip and I haven't even gotten to Sunday yet, which was epic.

If it looks like these people are smaller than me, it's because it's a midget biker gang! Look at the ratio of the guy in the plaid to the car next to him.  That is how small the bikes are.


The next day, we were treated to one of the coolest things I've ever done.  Below the legendary nightclub Studio 54, is a little club.  It's a late-night place, where, according to the internet, it's been made over by people that do Broadway theaters, and people who are actually on Broadway are known to get up and sing.  They also do a Jazz Brunch on Sundays.  So, we all arrived at 54 Below, as it's called, and were seated.  Drinks started flowing, food came and suddenly there was an awesome band on stage.  They were led by a white French guy that you can't see in this picture, because the way I was sitting I couldn't capture him.  I have seen a lot of great musicians over my career.  These guys topped the list.  The incredible musicianship and chemistry of the band made this brunch the most fun I have ever had whilst eating. They wanted us to keep our phones off, so I had to sneak a picture, which was difficult since I was down front. If you are EVER in New York, do yourself a favor and make a reservation for the Jazz Brunch at 54 Below.  The talent changes out every few days and it's just super cool.

These people are 150 times cooler than I will ever be. 


Radio peeps and DPAC peeps outside of 54 below.


After brunch, we trekked to Lincoln Center to see War Horse.  There could not be two polar opposite shows for us to see in a weekend.  This was no Jersey Boys, in that it was not a sing-a-long musical.  However, the acting was great and there are some astonishing puppets that are used to make you think that a real horse is on stage.  The movements, the way the horse would eat, you even think the horse is breathing for real at one point.  You develop empathy for a puppet.  A puppet.  War Horse will be at DPAC in October as well.  The horse puppets alone are, in my opinion, worth the price of admission. 


After War Horse, it was back to the hotel, and then back to reality.  I am constantly amazed on these trips how DPAC does you right--they bring you great entertainment, and make Broadway close to YOU so that you don't have to go to New York to see really cool things like a puppet horse, or singing Italian degenerates from New Jersey. It was a great time, and I'm so appreciative to have been part of it with other Triangle radio people, who I always enjoy but never get to see.  I made new friends, saw old ones, ate great food, heard great music, and I'm excited for you to see the shows when they come to DPAC this fall.  DPAC brings quality entertainment, and when they take you on a trip, they bring their A-game.  Thanks to Rachel, Emily and Jennie for a great weekend.  I threw in some bonus extra pics of Central Park and whatever else I didn't include here.  They're at the bottom of this blog.  Enjoy them, and in the meantime, I'll see you at DPAC for the Broadway Series.



 I will say, though, they will not be bringing you a midget biker gang.  You're on your own for that.


Alli

Like Alli Morgan on Facebook or follow her on Twitter





 


No comments: