Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Jekyll & Hyde at DPAC Preview


A few months ago, I had the pleasure of joining a few of the ladies from the Durham Performing Arts Center on a trip to see Jekyll & Hyde in Charlotte. It was a little preview show so that I and another fellow radio friend could see the awesomeness that is coming to Durham.

The show, is, duh, about Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  That part's self explanatory.  So, I was ready to watch Dr. Jekyll become a mean, mean man.  You've probably already heard of it if you're a rock fan or if, at the very least, you once watched MTV's Cribs back in the day.  Sebastian Bach played the title role on Broadway back in the day, and then proudly showed off his costume framed in his hallway during an episode of MTV Cribs. 

What I didn't realize was that I would be blown away by it.

The show stars former American Idol contestant Constantine Maroulis, who is no stranger to Broadway shows.  He was Tony-nominated for his role in Rock of Ages in 2009.  The night that I saw it, unfortunately, Constantine was ill and was unable to perform so his understudy stepped in.  While I was disappointed that I was missing out on what the ladies from DPAC assured me was a tour-de-force performance, his understudy didn't let me down. The story follows a conflicted man, and draws you in.  The entire time Dr. Jekyll was talking to his fiancee, I felt guilty--because...he's about to turn into a very bad guy.  And Emma seems nice.  But, you know, I spent most of the show wanting him to be with with Lucy.  Because she wasn't Emma.  And because I was all about seeing Jekyll become Hyde. 

Deborah Cox, the Canadian pop singer, stars with Constantine as Lucy Harris, a prostitute and main attraction at the "Red Rat."  I loved her.  Her voice is amazing, she looks great in that skimpy outfit that she has to wear all the time and just exudes sex appeal.  Yes, Jekyll's fiancee loves him and comes from a good family, but you know Lucy is where it's at for him. 

That's a good thing, 'cuz ladies...this is a sexy show.  It's not 50 Shades of Grey (thankfully, if you ask me!) but it IS the sexiest thing I've seen on stage in quite a while. Yes!  Singing, dancing and sex.  Do all of those things go together?  Well, they do here. 

Clearly, I'm not the only one to recognize the chemistry and sexiness this show brings--after Jekyll & Hyde finishes its 25 city North America run, it's headed back to Broadway this April through August.  Why trip all the way to NYC when all you have to do is hit up DPAC's website and get tickets for the same EXACT show here?

Jekyll and Hyde opens for eight shows at DPAC on January 8.  Singing, Dancing, Sex:  do it! You won't be sorry, you will be amazed.  I swear.


Alli


Like Alli Morgan on Facebook or follow her on Twitter

No comments: