Monday, February 27, 2012

The "Wall" You Must See


This week, Radio 96.1 is giving away tickets to see Roger Waters perform Pink Floyd's "The Wall" July 9th at the RBC Center (which, by then, will be PNC Arena).  Since this tour started nearly two years ago, I never thought I'd get the chance to see it in Raleigh...which is why I flew to California to see it with my mother.

Yes, I appreciate the irony of seeing the performance of an album much about Roger Waters' complicated relationship with his mother...with my mother.  She lives in San Francisco, and we made a deal - if I picked up my airfare from here to the Bay Area, she'd buy the tickets.  "Do you know how much they are?", I asked.  Know this - my mother doesn't sit in cheap seats.  She goes big or doesn't go at all - so the face value of the tickets was $249.50.  Each.  The tickets were about 10 rows up, one section back from the stage (which looked like great placement).

When we arrived at Oracle Arena in Oakland and presented the ticket to the usher, she told us there was an issue and we needed to go to the box office.  I was worried but knew there was no way the tickets were fraudulent because I bought them through the proper website channels...didn't I???

The box office attendant takes the tickets and says, "Mr. Waters apologizes for the inconvenience, but the pyrotechnics from the "wall" are too close to your seats, so he had to move you."  He hands me our new tickets. I look at them, look at my mom, and say, "We're in the 2nd row on the floor".

2nd row center, to be specific.  This was the view from our seats.




Whether you win tickets from Radio 96.1 or buy them, I can tell you - even at those nutty prices, it was worth every penny.

Foster
Radio 96.1


No comments: