Friday, March 2, 2012

But, What If It's Not The Same?

I stopped at McDonald's on the way to work yesterday morning.  While waiting to order my coffee, I saw this sign and got super excited:



The Shamrock Shake is here.  In Raleigh. 

This excites me to no end, not because I have a penchant for minty tasting milkshakes.  It means my childhood has made it to Raleigh.  I had no idea when I first moved here that the Shamrock Shake was a regional thing.  I just (naively) thought that every February through March, McDonald's sold some green thing that was supposed to taste like a mint milkshake.  But up until this year, the Shamrock Shake was an anomaly in the Triangle.  There are websites dedicated to places you can find the Shake, like this one.  Southerners who are aware of the Shake's reputation have been searching far and wide.  And now, it's here.  In the Triangle.  Well, at least at the McDonalds on Trawick at New Bern and at the one on Trawick at Capital.  That's where I've seen the sings.

I haven't tried it yet.  Because, what if it's not as good as it was when I was a kid?   Foster tells me to ask them to put half a chocolate shake in, half Shamrock Shake and do the chocolate mint route.  I have heard varying reports on the all-mint.  What say you?  Have you had one?  Is it worth my two bucks to try to see if childhood tastes the same?


Alli


Follow Alli Morgan on Twitter or click "like" right here to be friends on Facebook.

No comments: