Monday, March 26, 2012

What were YOU doing in 1997?

A lot of people thought I was crazy in the summer of 1997.  That was the year I decided to leave a job in San Francisco for my first Program Director gig in Buffalo, New York.



My San Francisco friends sure couldn't understand why I would leave paradise for the frozen tundra, and frankly neither could Buffalonians who always asked me "Why would you move here?" when I told them where I was from.

But alas, as a guy in his mid-20s, 1997 was a fun time for me and a fun time for music.  Festivals like H.O.R.D.E. and Lollapalooza still traveled America, and radio was dominated by bands like Everclear, Sugar Ray, and Marcy Playground.



They say everything comes back around, so perhaps it was inevitable that the "Summerland Tour" with Everclear, Sugar Ray, Gin Blossoms, Lit, and Marcy Playground would come to fruition 15 years later - and it will make a stop at Raleigh Amphitheater.  While it's true that none of those bands will likely ever make it in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, their music does take me back to a happy time.  I imagine the night of July 14th when it stops here will be like that for many of you as well.

Foster
Radio 96.1




No comments: