Monday, March 19, 2012

I'm Tired Today, But It Was Worth It.

Before I moved to Raleigh, I worked with a guy who loved music.  When I told him I was moving here, this is what he had to say:

"Oh!  That's where the Cat's Cradle is! That place is legendary!"

Well, Chuck was close-- the Cat's Cradle isn't in Raleigh, it's in Carrboro--but it IS legendary.

I love going to places like the Cat's Cradle.  I love what I like to term, "down and dirty rock clubs."  I just feel so cool when I'm in there.  I have seen so many great bands there--all of them smaller acts on their way up, like Fitz and the Tantrums.  (YouTube them.) 

But the best thing that I like about a place like Cat's Cradle is that it's got a vibe you can't get at an arena or in a stadium.  Everyone is pressing to the stage, wanting to be closer to the magic of the music on stage.  It's hot, sweaty, there's dancing, people step on your feet.  You're in the moment, caught up in the vibe, you're having the time of your life.  And that's how I feel every time I go there. 

Last night, I went and saw a British band named Gomez at the CC.  (Again, YouTube them.  Indie fans, if you're not already aware, you will thank me.)  It was amazing, not just because there are three incredibly talented singers and five mind blowingly amazing musicians on stage, but because the vibe was there, again.  I was right up in the front, singing along, watching the crowd to the same.  Here are a few shots I took at the show:




These pics are of Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball, two of Gomez frontmen.  You know what I love?  At a big place, you can never get this close.  But at the Cat's Cradle, you can. And THAT is why I love a good, down and dirty rock club.



To see the Cat's Cradle's list of upcoming shows, click here.



Alli



Like Alli Morgan on Facebook, or follow her on Twitter.




1 comment:

Terry R said...

Alli.

Agree with everything you wrote. Now ... why don't you play any of these artists?? "How we Operate" would sound great on Radio 96.1

Terry