Monday, March 5, 2012

Yes, Blockbuster still exists

Last night, my son and I popped into the Blockbuster Video store on Capital Blvd. in Raleigh to pick up "Raiders of the Lost Ark".  Admittedly, shopping at Blockbuster in the era of Netflix and Hulu kinda feels like stepping in a time machine these days - but I still miss Tower Records, so what can I tell ya.



Anyway, my 6-year old spotted a Mario and Sonic video game for the Wii and asked if we could rent it - and for 99 cents, I figured "what the heck".   What surprised me wasn't the cheap 99 cent/night price tag, but the notation at the bottom of my receipt: "Own this game for only $9.99 more."



I'm all about used video games.  If my kids (ok, or me) want something for the Wii, I'll wait 2 years and at least a half price discount to get it.  But this particular game (a Summer Olympic-themed game) was a good one and I'm pretty sure I saw it used for at least double the price at Game Stop.  It's selling new for $41.00 on Amazon.  So I'll go ahead and buy the game at Blockbuster - and maybe there's a market for them in the video game business if they are willing to undercut Game Stop.  The movie rental business is certainly a tough road.

Foster
Radio 96.1

No comments: