Friday, March 9, 2012

It's A Basketball Weekend: On The Court, And The Courtroom

I grew up in New Jersey.  And everyone knows most people in NJ are Duke fans.  This is not to say that I, in particular, am a Duke fan.  It's just to say that I grew up watching a lot of Duke basketball. 

I vividly remember watching the 1991 NCAA National Championship game with my dad.  After all, Bobby Hurley was from NJ, his dad coached at St. Anthony's (which had a killer nationally ranked team that had played my high school's team that year.)  Hurley was a standout from that game, as was Christian Laettner, who went on to be the only college player drafted to the 1992 Olympic "Dream Team" and had his number retired by Duke that same year.  My dad and I sort of bonded over that game, and ones before it.  I knew all the players, knew how the game worked.  We were a Blue Devil household that year, and it was really fun.

Here's a picture of me in '91--my apologies for my friend Traci's acid wash. 







Now, relax, Wolfpack and Tarheel fans.  The point of this blog is not to tell you that I have come out as a Blue Devil fan.  I love you all equally. (Truthfully, I won't take sides here because I don't want anyone to egg my car.  Also, because I no longer really understand basketball, but that's an entirely separate blog.)  It's to tell you how dismayed I was today to see this article on Deadspin.com:




Ruh Roh, folk hero.  

 It was interesting reading the things Deadspin and other media outlets have to say about Laettner and his former teammate and now partner, Brian Davis.  I guess I sort of caught up on what they've been up to.  What do you think of Laettner and Davis' troubles?  Love Duke or hate Dook, it's still sad to see a guy who was once their shining star having so many troubles.  The whole thing is just sort of sad to me.

This Sunday, a documentary will air regaling Duke's Back-to-Back NCAA championships in 1991 and 1992.  TruTV will air Duke 91 & 92: Back to Back at 8 pm.  That's channel 44 for you TWC subscribers.  Laettner and his teammates those years will be regaled.  (Both Laettner and former Blue Devil Grant Hill are producers. )  And they should be: those were legendary teams.  They even made me, a 17 year old girl, want to hang out with her dad for an entire month.

Happy March Madness, kids.


Alli


Like Alli Morgan on Facebook or follow her on Twitter.


 





No comments: